Pumpkin Carrot Chiffon Cake With Cream Cheese Glaze
This moist, light, and airily textured cake suits pumpkin and carrot flavours. Carrot juice adds a brilliant colour and a little extra vitamin A.
Serves: 12 to 16
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Bake Time: 50 - 60 Minutes
- 1 cup pure pumpkin purée
- 1/2 cup carrot juice (or apple juice or water)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 7 large eggs, separated
- 2 cups cake & pastry flour
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp salt 1 cup carrot, coarsely grated Glaze
- 1/2 250 g pkg cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 - 4 tbsp milk ground cinnamon, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 10-cup bundt pan well, and dust thoroughly with flour, tapping out any excess.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the pumpkin purée, carrot juice (or apple juice or water), vegetable oil, and egg yolks until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Stir this into the pumpkin mixture. Stir in the grated carrot.
- Whip the reserved 7 egg whites until they hold a medium peak - they stand up with just a little curl when beaters are lifted. Fold them into the batter in two additions. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan (the batter will be fluid) and bake for 50 to 60 minutes, until a tester inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. IMPORTANT: Cool the cake upside down on a cooling rack until completely cooled. To remove the cake, insert a skewer in a few places at the outside edge and at the centre tube to loosen slightly, then tap the cake out of the pan.
- Beat the cream cheese, icing sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Switch to a whisk and add the milk one tablespoon at a time, until a glaze consistency is achieved - the glaze should cascade over the bundt cake without being runny. Pour the glaze over the cake and spread gently to coax it a little over the sides. Sprinkle with cinnamon (optional). Chill the cake until ready to serve.
The cake will keep refrigerated for up to 3 days. Alternatively, an unglazed cake can be stored, wrapped, at room temperature for 3 days, and dusted with icing sugar before serving.